Khalil Muhsin is a photographer in Oakland, CA.
Dad to Paloma, cocktail connoisseur and photographer. Born in Detroit. From DC. Lives in Oakland. He's often taking Paloma on adventures (and secretly giving her lollipops and gummy bears). He's also known for changing whatever outfit mom puts Paloma in, to make her a bit more 'cool kid'... and, has already let her paint his nails pink. But he'll never tell you that..
Every father has his story. This is a small glimpse into Khalil's.
1. Sometimes, the connection to fatherhood is not immediate. Was it for you? And if not, was there a moment that you really felt, "Woah. I'm a dad."
You think wow; I have this human that I helped create - but it wasn't instant. To be honest, the initial connection for babies is super maternal. Especially if the mom is breastfeeding - which, in my case she was. That bond is as much biological as it is emotional. It didn't come until later for me. But now, it's great.
2. What has been easier than you thought it would be? How about harder?
I don't think of fatherhood as easier or harder; it's a marathon, a triathlon, an Iron Man. It's a hell of a journey. All those physical things I listed are inherently known to be difficult. The level of difficulty albeit perceived or actual is arbitrary. I mean; you're assisting with the development and matriculation of a human into this world. What could be more difficult, and at the same time fulfilling?!
3. What kids book would you read a million times out loud in a row? What book are you actually have to read a million times out loud in a row?
"Oh the Places You'll Go" The Dr. Suess classic. The book is awe-inspiring. It was Paloma's first favorite, and she still loves it. But on the flip side, I usually have to read "Goodnight Moon" and "You Are My I Love You" several times. Because those are her soothing night time reads.
4. What traditions are you excited to carry on with your daughter?
I'm excited for Paloma to live a healthy, active lifestyle alongside me . . . and for her to also join me in fun, leisurely activities like movies. It's been a favorite pastime of mine for years. I can't wait to take her on a date to see "The Good Dinosaur."
5. Being a dad makes me feel _____________________.
Thank you for letting us profile you, Khalil! Please check out him and sweet Paloma on his beautiful Instagram account.
Leave a comment